Menoth Fountain

April 6, 2008

John "Scarab" Salmond

 

Material

Plaster of Paris

Figure

Carving Tools

Paint

Brush

Fishing Line

Envirotex

Two Part Clear Epoxy

Acrylic Medium

Crazy Glue

 

This project was started because I was in need of more terrain pieces for my newly constructed Menoth Board. I also wanted a water feature on the board.

 

I used the round lid to the Plaster of Paris container for the fountain mold. I mixed some plaster and poured it into the lid. After it set up but before completely dry I popped it out and began carving out the inner area where the water would be. After I carved it out I elevated it on some paints so more of the surface would be in contact with the air in order for it to dry out easier. I found some other round pieces laying around that I used for the two inner pieces that would support the Griffon. I happened to have tons of figs, some of which are 20 plus years old. I have started to find ways to use them. I thought the Griffon would be a good fountain piece that I could have water coming out of the mouth.

I finished carving out all of the plaster so it would resemble the board. I painted the fountain using the same colors as the board. I painted the gray on the Griffon. I dry brushed lighter grays on the Griffon to give it depth. I used some turf to glue around in random places for a mossy feel. For the fountain I would be using some fishing line to create the look of water coming out of the mouth. I glued three pieces of fishing line in the mouth of the Griffon I let them dry and then attached them to the bottom of the fountain. I also glued the fishing lines together with some crazy glue.

After the fishing line was dry I put some of the Two Part Clear Epoxy on the fishing line to thicken it up and put some bubbles in it to give it the illusion of water. It is easy to apply to the fishing line because it doesn’t flow like envirotex does.

After everything was painted and the fishing line was in place I pour some Envirotex into the basin of the fountain. After it dried I used some of the Acrylic Medium to make the surface look like it was in motion.

If you have any questions you can contact me by e-mail at or you can contact me on the Salmondworks.com forum. Hope this helps in your next project.

 

Later,

John "Scarab" Salmond