By Theresa "Minipaintmaven" Mansfield
After my skorne warbeast carcass tutorial I wanted to do a versatile piece that was super simple, that wouldn’t require very much money and could be done with the basic tools I have at my disposal without bothering my step-father for the use of his workshop. I started looking over some of the pieces left over from the beastie tutorial and wondered if there was anything I could do with the left-over parts. There were scraps of masonite, Sintra and broken pieces of plaster. The more I looked at the pieces the more a ruined building project just seemed to jump out at me. If you have any questions about how the leftovers were created please refer to my previous tutorial entitled "Dem Bones".
Plaster of Paris
OK, so the first thing I had to do was violate my first rule of making this terrain piece entirely from tools I had at home, but I really needed my step-father’s shop to do the base. I used his jigsaw to cut a piece of masonite to the size and shape I wanted and used a sander to bevel its edge. The rest of it was done in my kitchen, honest. Total time: 1 hour.
I used a pencil to rough in some stones on the pieces of plaster. I then took an Xacto knife scraped along the lines to make it look like rock. The texture of the plaster was far different from when I did the stones in the previous tutorial. Before, the plaster still contained some moisture and carving into it was like sculpting moist clay. Weeks later, however, the plaster was completely dry and carving into it with the Xacto blade was like trying to whittle chalk in that it created a lot of dust and leached all of the moisture from my hands.
By the time I was satisfied I had done both sides of two building walls, a floor and a small exterior rock wall. I then rubbed their surfaces as I quickly ran them under the tap. When all of the pieces were completely dried I glued them together and attached them to the base. Total time: 6 hours.
I cut some small pieces of styrofoam to build up the area where I wanted the rubble to be piled up. I cut the remaining scraps of plaster into small blocks of varying sizes and shapes. I also snapped a couple of match and popsicle sticks. I applied some cornstarch and water to some shredded newspaper and molded the mixture over the Styrofoam to make the rubble area. I then placed the plaster blocks and scraps of wood randomly over the rubble area and finished it with a coat of diluted white glue and dirt. Total time: 4 hours.
I did a basecoat by blocking out the colors I wanted the ruin to have and covered the entire model with a thinned down wash of black and brown paint. Note the way the wash colored the white tiles inside the ruin. It prompted me to go with those tones later. Isn’t serendipity beautiful? Total time: 1-1/2 hours.
When the paint wash was thoroughly dry I applied lighter shades of the basecoat to pick out some of the details. Total time: 1 hour.
Highlights and finishes—$0.00
To finish it off I used even lighter shades of the mid-range colors to drybrush the highlights. When that was dry I sealed it with a spray of Dullcoat, allowed it to dry and sparingly applied some flocking material. Total time: 1-1/2 hours.
The entire piece didn’t cost me anything because everything I used was left over from the beastie tutorial. The project took 15 hours to complete.
A lot of it was experimental but I am happy with the way it turned out and think it will make a fine addition to my playing surface. If this terrain piece didn’t turn out exactly how you would do it, I’ve shown you mine, now show me yours and we will compare.