Fall of the Royal Thunder Part 1

By Pat Ohta, intro by Darren Pai

 

The Royal Thunder was the crowning achievement of the Cygnar air fleet. The first of her kind, she flew high above enemy forces to relay information back to ground units. She met an early end when her first mate grew jealous of his captain's success. Seeking to frame the captain, he diverted intelligence to Khador spies. Cygnar security agents discovered the betrayal and branded the entire crew as traitors.

 
There is no official record of what brought down the Royal Thunder. Some rumors say an undercover Cygnar assassin executed the crew during a mission. Others say she was shot down by a powerful warcaster. Only one thing is clear, the Royal Thunder flew high and flew fast, but fell from grace in a
ball of fire.

The Royal Thunder is a Cygnar reconnaissance dirigible. A dirigible is an airship with a rigid skeleton and I wanted to make one that would fit into the War Machine universe, and look more “high tech” since it was going to be Cygnar ship. I also wanted to make it look like a boat or sub. Since there are no game rules for flyers, I decided to make this a crashed ship that can be used as an objective.

 

Materials needed:

modeling saw, modeling knife, foam core, white glue, hot glue, rubble mix, ruler, Evergreen channels, spackle, water bottle, eagle decoration, brass tubes, tube bender, Kneadatite, foam, plasticard, leather punch, hard card, Crazy Glue, wire and misc bits.

 

1.      First, I cut a sheet of foam core approximately 9”X8”. I then cut a slight curve on one end. I based these measurements on a plastic bottle I had.

 

2.      Along the length of the sheet I drew lines ½” apart from each other. Then I scored these lines by cutting along them with my modeling knife, making sure not to go all the way through.  These score lines will allow the foam core to bend.



3.      Next I drew a vertical line about 2” in from the side and scored it the same way.



4.      This section will be the bow of the ship. To make sure it would taper to a point I thinned the foam core slats by cutting through on the diagonal.



5.      I then wrapped the bottle in the foam core sheet and glued them together.

6.      Using hot glue, I started to taper the bow by working from the bottom up.  I glued each slat one at a time, making sure they all came to a point. Then I cut another sheet of foam to make a hood for the bow.



7.      For additional support I cut another piece of foam and inserted it under the hood. At this point I also closed up the bow by gluing in a piece of foam.



8.      Now that the main hull of the gondola was done, I cut it in half and figured out how I wanted it to lay on the ground. I trimmed each piece until I was happy with the look.



9.      To add more height to the gondola I constructed a simple control deck. To make sure the foam core would sit properly on the body I cut the edges at an angle.



10.  Happy with the look, I proceeded to cover the entire ship with spackle.  The brand that I use goes on pink and turns white when dry.



11.  I let the first layer dry completely, then sanded it smooth and applied 2 more coats, allowing each to dry in turn.



12.  After the final coat was dry and sanded, I applied 3 coats of black paint. This helped to add some strength and to give me a surface that the other details could stick to.



13.  Next I added windows. I wanted it to look like a maritime inspired ship, so I chose some round windows for the sides.



14.  To insert these I traced the window outlines on the side of the ship and then cut them out with my modeling knife. Then I added hot glue and inserted the windows.



15.  I wanted a decorative figurehead for the ship. Something similar to the maidens seen on sailing ships. I chose an eagle, and used one that is normally for flags.



16.  Since the eagle’s head was turned sideways I used my modeling saw to cut off the head and reposition it.



17.  Since the bow is going to be laying on its side, I wanted the eagle’s wing to be bent on the side touching the ground. To do this I used a lighter, heated up the wing, and bent it when it got soft enough.



18.  I attached the eagle to the bow of the ship with hot glue and used Kneadatite to fix the neck and to smooth the transition of the eagle into the hull. Kneadatite is an easy to use two part epoxy putty- just mix equal parts of the blue and yellow strips. When it turns green it’s ready to be applied.



This is the end of Part 1. The second and last part will appear next time. Now get going and keep your battlefield from being boring!

 

Pat

pat@terrainthralls.com