Water Tower

By Scarab

Tutorial Date 10/8/06

Techniques Used:
Common Items, Weathered Wood

Materials

Pringles Can

Plastic Sucker Sticks

Nails

Masonite

Super Glue

Chains

Gears

Plastic Styrene

Paint

Turf

Static Grass

India Ink

Rubbing Alcohol

Paintbrush

White Glue

Balsa wood strips

Green Stuff

Toilet Paper

Well we have a steamed powered world so I decided to do some surfing of the web to find a look that I liked. This is what I came up with. Hope you enjoy

I started out by cutting out the base out of Masonite and filed down the edges. I created a hexagon template out of paper so I could create the base template so I could arrange the nails for the sucker sticks. I glued the nails down in a hexagon formation. Once dry the Sucker Sticks were glued on them.

I cut the Pringle Can down to about three and a half inches. The Balsa Wood Strips were then applied to the Pringles can. This was done using white glue making sure not to let any of the glue show through. Once this was done the plastic styrene strips were glued around the wood. The framework was also completed below. The top water tower was then attached to the framework.

The top was made out of sheet styrene cut into a large circle. The circle was cut from the center to the edge. Once the cut was made I made a cone from the styrene and glued it together with super glue. I then applied styrene strips to the roof to hide the seam and create the look I was after. The water pipe was made from one of the sucker sticks and applied with green stuff and toilet paper. The ladder was made with a homemade jig out of balsa wood and styrene.

After everything was assembled I made rivets with a hole punch that was one sixteenth in size. I then applied the rivets with super glue.

After this was all done and the rivets were applied it was time to ink the wood. I made a mixture of one part India ink and about thirty parts rubbing alcohol. I tested the mixture on spare balsa wood to make sure I had the look I wanted. I applied the first coat and let dried and then went back and touched it up where I thought it needed it.

After this was all done I painted the metal with boltgun metal, I did a black wash over it all and then painted some rusting effects. I applied the static grass and some miscellaneous grasses and brush.
I know this is a quick toot so if you have any questions let me know at .

Later,

Scarab…